Saturday, March 25, 2006

XS Sights


XS BIG DOT SIGHT SYSTEM REVIEW

Recently at the Rangemaster Indoor Tactical Conference I had the opportunity to talk to Dave Biggers the V.P. Sales & Marketing guy for this company and he sent me a pair of the big dot sights for a G19 and a SIG P226 to try out and let new shooters use as their first sighting system.

Instillation was basically a no brainier, instructions were clear and easy to follow and I experienced no difficulty in doing it. The next thing I did was read the instructions on how to align the front sight with the rear V. at different distances. It seemed pretty simple and logical.

So today after an IDPA Match I stuck around to give them a whirl on the G19. Starting off at 3 yards it was very simple. Remember these are not bull’s-eye sights; they are made for fast acquisition and getting off fast shots in a hurry. At 15 yards and in you simply cover the determined point of impact with the big dot. Drop the big white dot down to the top of the rear v and press. Great accurate hits, as a matter of fact one ragged hole of a five shot group. The sights were easy and fast to acquire and align.


Moving on back to about 10 yards it was still very easy to acquire and align the sights. Groups were not as tight but still more than adequate for self defense. Fast five shot groups consistently ran in the 2 inch size or less. Remember now this is out of the holster and on target shooting. No long waits to get a super sight picture.

When I got back to the 20 yard line was when I first started noticing a difference. I had to slow down a bit to get good hits. Instead of covering the target I had to bring the front sight down so that the called point of impact was on the top of the front sight rather than covered. The slower hits were due to me being unfamiliar to the sights but got a bit faster as I shot. I am also sure it will improve as I work with them more. I was able to put only about 100 rounds with the sights today but will definitely be shooting them more to determine there applicability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home